Monday, December 28, 2009

This post is part of the MAT@USC: Masters in Teaching Hope for the holidays event. Did you have an experience or witness something in 2009 which gave you hope for the future of American education? If so, please see this post for more information on how to share it.

Here's my response... I am a teacher, a teacher by choice that chose this field as a second career. Before I entered the teaching profession, I thought teachers had the best working schedules and worked strictly 8-3. Boy, was I in for a surprise once I got into the classroom. This is the most demanding job I have ever had and believe me, I work way more hours then 8-3. This has also been the most fulfilling job I have ever had. I truly believe that most teachers choose this career because they want to work with children and make a difference. This past year I have witnessed and experienced working with the best group of teachers a school could ask for. The teachers at my school gave 100% of their efforts to teach with relevance. The previous year we were a school that was on the edge of being a failing school. This year we showed our community that we are teachers' with passion for learning. As a school we improved our scores from the previous year be leaps and bounds. This could only be possible because of the dedicated staff we have. I know I am especially proud of this school, despite cutbacks and bigger classrooms we are still making a difference in the classroom.


1 comment:

  1. An example of hope of education for 2009 is seeing all the parent and teacher support of a local community school. Every year this school holds a Fall carnival strictly run by the school staff and parent volunteers. The teaching staff puts in hours of their own time to plan, prepare, and run the Fall carnival. The school does not make a profit from the carnival. Each year the carnival brings in all the community neighbors and is a safe outlet for one weekend.

    This post is part of the MAT@USC: Masters in Teaching Hope for the holiday event.Did you have an experience or witness something in 2009 which gave you hope of American education? If so, please see this post for more information on how to share it.

    ReplyDelete